A show based on all White women, but women no less, celebrates Columbus Day (already a problem) by telling people to “explore” as if personal “exploration” itself cannot exist without connection to a thief and mass murdering, rapist, genocidal White supremacist patriarch.
Now, when I call them “clueless” I do not mean to imply that they are ignorant of the history of Columbus. Stuff like this above is done strategically. It is marketing. White women pissing on people of colour, especially women of colour is a thing. It’s a marketing strategy. It’s a platform builder and career move in mainstream feminism itself. It’s more than just ignorance via White privilege. It is intentional.
Let’s clear up some things to help limit the ignorance that will come upon reblog:
- I do not care if Lena Dunham herself did not send this tweet. It is HER show. She isn’t just an actor on the show. Look it up. Plus…her track record on race speaks for itself…
- I do not care about White Tears™. I do not want to hear a single thing about solidarity because White women have no clue what that is. The few who do, call out fellow White feminists, and get ignored by them. So there’s that.
- Scandal. Now I know the really simplistic thinkers that make up the haters of Scandal will suggest that "well Scandal is not feminist either." Magically, I never said it was. I speak out about the misogynoir lauded at the character “Olivia Pope” and the Black women who are the fans. I never said “Olivia Pope” is feminist icon or the voice of the generation. And let’s not even dare compare the feminist stances of Lena Dunham and Kerry Washington because that already does not go well with White female celebrities versus Black female celebrites.
- I do not give a fuck if you like this show. That’s not the point here.
- Don’t you muthafuckin’ dare try to suggest that I am never vocal about anything else. A White woman already tried that today on Twitter. This is a standard silencing tactic. So is “well why are you surprised?” Did I muthafuckin’ say I am “shocked” anywhere here?
- No, I will not ignore racism from White women because we are the same gender.
- No, I did not have to make my tweets any nicer than they are. Fuck tone policing.
- Yes, it is unacceptable for shows and people who claim to be the “voices” of a generation to be so ignorant and calloused. I get it. They need attention. I understand. But the Emmys already worships this mess, so what further attention is needed? I mean…I don’t see Sleepy Hollow tweeting bullshit yet magically they’re brand new with sky high ratings and a multi-racial cast!
For the White women who look towards this show as some sort of example of feminism, why are your examples so racist? I mean, you do realize the parody account @WhiteFeminist retweeted this show’s tweet as is. As is! No extra satire was needed. Well…damn.